The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Pre filter needs cleaning after each use  (Read 3965 times)

Offline simonb

Pre filter needs cleaning after each use
« on: February 25, 2014, 01:27:44 pm »
I have a mysterious problem with a DC07. I have seen other posts from people who have had filters clog up after each use but the solution in that case was the fine-dust seal in the cyclone chamber. Well, that didn't fix it.

Here is what I have changed and cleaned so far...
  • Cyclone unit  jet-washed using an unusually high water-pressure shower
  • Pre motor and hepa filters changed (twice)
  • Fine dust collector seal between cyclone chamber and bin base
  • Exhaust pre-filter seal
  • Entry seal

I have attached some photos of the pre-filter after just use with new filters and a cleaned cyclone chamber. With the new filters the suction is very good right now and, for the first time in a long time, I can feel resistance to it being pushed along due to the good-as-new suction. However it won't stay that way if the filters continue to clog that quickly! This is my second attempt at changing all the filters. I know the paper pre-filter and the hepa filter soon clog up and won't let much air through. I found the newer paper pre-filters don't indicate that they can be washed. I am always washing the sponge part.

One thing I noticed is that the dust is a thin crescent on the opposite side to the exhaust inlet. I have attached some photos of this. This is strange since I would have expected the dust to be evenly distributed or focused at the same side as the exhaust inlet. Does this give any clues?

Offline simonb

Re: Pre filter needs cleaning after each use
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 07:48:34 am »
OK. After another session it is clear now where all the dust in the filter is coming from. Dust appears to be directly ingested into the rim of the pre filter. I have attached a photo of the removed pre filter. There is a dust tail at the place where it would normally point at the carpet. When I remove the yellow pre filter the dust extends between the pre filter and the outer pre filter housing.

I have also attached a picture of the place where the pre filter sits. I can't see any obvious signs of wear or damage so I am mystified how all this dust is getting in. Either that or how a working DC07 manages to NOT let the dust in!

Does this mean that the seal around the fan casing needs replacing? It doesn't look damaged.

DC07 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram