I have a dc14 that I'm sure the motor burnt out on it smelt of strong burning, so one day at the tip I found a dc07 in good condition but with the lead cut off that quickly found its way into my boot. When I stripped them down I swapped the motor but when I powered it on the motor didn't turn but just started smoking so I guessed the motor was also dead. I ordered a cheap copy motor from ebay, I know your going to say why but thought it might work, exactly the same thing the motor started smoking. I have striped down the switch and everything looks fine.
Is it all the motors that are faulty or is it something else I should check? When they smoke the electric doesn't trip off I have to power it off,
Am I write in thinking looking at the wiring that these motors are a direct 240v mains with a switch for on/off, is it worth me testing the motors by connecting a plug with a switch direct to the motor? Could it be anything else?