The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Hoover Turbolite - March 1989  (Read 1753 times)

Online beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Hoover Turbolite - March 1989
« on: September 12, 2014, 04:05:47 PM »
We went to the car boot last weekend. I made a resolution not to buy a single dyson, since I had 20 at home, but imagine my delight when I saw this on a stall! Not a lot of later it was mine

A fairly rare US import Hoover Turbolite. Basically a Turbopower 1, but the american version.

Sounded typically rough, with dry bearings all round. So I began the stripdown tuesday night when SWMBO went to work

Bag was filthy

Not sure if this bolt is original or notm but it does a good job. Holds the handle onto the base, and the bag bottom in place

Bag top just slides off the bag

The handle took some considerable pulling to remove it from the motor housing. I tried to be gently and sympathetic but in the end braced my foot against it and just heaved (and nearly smacked my head on the sofa...)

The bag holder is part of the bag, which is odd, and again took some wincing with a screwdriver to pop it off

The cable unplugged from the motor

Again, some fiddling seperated the handle some more

Carefully removed the bag holder assembly, apparently its quite rare to find an unbroken one!

I moved onto the bottom, and took the base plate off

The top hood snaps off with some tabs, no nice screws here

The belt had seen better days

The one piece release pedal pops out. No seperate spring like a turbopower here, I imagine many of these snapped over the years

The wheels pop out now, not a circlip in sight

Yummy

The motor housing can be removed now, This is a one piece affair, housing the motor, switch and pretty much everything

Took the top cover off

The fancase is taped on, with aluminium tape. The Service Manual states to use pvc tape if repair is needed, as the alu tape was not available as a spare. Having lots of insulation tape, I took this as a good thing!

The motor could come apart more if I disconnected the coil wires from the carbon holders, but I elected to leave it alone. The fancase bearing was very smooth, so grease was not needed anyway

I moved onto the brushroll (not going to call it an activator). The bearings were odd, jsut a white plastic cover hiding the open insides

Picked the thread from them

All apart, I washed it, and left it to dry. Then grabbed the hood for a bit of a clean

The plastic was a bit dull after a going over with Cif cream

so I gave it a polish with some Super Resin Polish

which improved things

I then gave it a nice layer of wax, and set it aside to cure.

I then put the rest of the machine together

Top bearing on the motor was quite dry

but after some grease, spun smoothly again

The armature wasnt too bad, but I gave it a quick clean with some fine wire wool anyway

The fan had seen some use, sadly a Turbopower fan is a different profile so I had to re-use it

The motor done, I sealed it back up again

and screwed the fancase back on

Snapped the wheels back in

Popped an end off the front wheels and gave the axles a grease to stop any squeaking, and refitted those

Flipped round, the motor can be refitted

Filled the brushroll bearings with lovely new grease

Got a new belt out

Dont think these were over here when these were made

Then I buffed the wax off and fitted the hood, and put the handle back on, and refitted the bag (no pics as it took 3 minutes!)

The bags not spotless, but I daredn't machine wash it as I dont want the locating tabs to snap off and render it useless

Plus if I machine wash it the writing will fully vanish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZJT5d9ZgYk&list=UUv0y2E43HyJMX85p-Wxro0Q

She runs smoothly now, already quarter filled a bag (after using a DC07 for the last few weeks to test the motor, but we wont start that argument... :underchair:)

Very happy to have this, will fit in nicely with my other Turbopower 1's!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Online beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Hoover Turbolite - March 1989
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 06:58:43 PM »
Been using this all week now, and it's really good! Lacks the deep down bite of it's english compadre, but still grooms nicely, and has a fistful of sand and grit inside the bag already!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bggHIudOo8Y&list=UUv0y2E43HyJMX85p-Wxro0Q
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Dyson Spare Parts

Sebo Vacuum Cleaners

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

The Dyson Medic Blog

Dyson Spares, Parts, AdviceFollow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacson Google+

Manchester Vacs on Instagram