To mark the sad passing of official support from Dyson for the DC04, I decided to make a thread about one that I part exchanged a DC14 for!
Doesnt work too badly tbh, nothing out of the ordinary anyway. Suction was awful before I removed the pre motor filter, and the belts are stretched and the hose is torn. It's also got a broken pre motor housing clip too. Usual fare then!
It is very clean however, there are still some nice DC04's to be had.
Donut still in place, remarkably she stil ran!
Made in Britain!
Hose came off and went into the refurb pile
Wand was split down next
Cyclone out of the way
Switch housing off
Someones been here before...
I'm not sure what it is about DC04's breaking cables here. Wasn't broken around the donut which is odd, so I chopped it back and placed the cable to one side for re-terminaling
It has a nice green plug too (my camera makes it look faded though, it's not!
Changeover valve out
This has been off before too
Post motor filter was probably the original 1998 one
Changeover valve split out
Clutch cover off
Wand inspection tube off
and split. The bearings are in top order thankfully as these are the non regreasable ones
Brushroll housing off
Clutch cover off
and the clutch out
Bottom assembly off
Pivot rings removed
Changeover assembly stripped out
Motor housing unscrewed from the chassis
Motor airway tube removed
Motor housing cover off
and the motor removed. Carbons are about hafway worn, armature looks good. Wonder why it's thrown so much carbon dust out...
Onto the cyclone now
Outer cone removed and the seals taken off
I took the top handle assembly off the cyclone and had a closer look at the broken clip. Never seen a snapped one before, but can understand how it went.
Handle removed anyway
Inner cone was unscrewed from the cyclone
Release valve carefully removed
and split for washing
Everything was then washed and dried over the weekend. I forgot to start taking re-assembly pictures, so by this stage the motor had gone back in, new HEPA post motor filter installed and the bottom housing pivots greased and the housing fitted
re-belted clutch fitted
The brushroll cleaned up very well. This machine hasn't seen much use I dont think
I fitted new wheels to the baseplate as the old ones had had it
Wheels back on
Once the wheels were on I checked it's pivots and replaced the internal hose as it was floppy and had lost its spring in hindsight. Works much better now
Chassis seals on
Found a refurbished hose in purple
I re-assembled the cyclone and left it at that for now until the clip arrives. After photo's soon!