The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson DC22 Stowaway Wood & Wool Stripdown and Refurb  (Read 10784 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Dyson DC22 Stowaway Wood & Wool Stripdown and Refurb
« on: January 22, 2015, 11:25:28 pm »
Had this in for a refurb this week, and it made a lovely thread!

The first thing I did was remove the hose, then unclip the hose from the hose adapter and bottom cyclone holder

A screw holds it together

Lets have a look at the pre motor filter

Undo the clip and the cover hinges upwards

This levered off its hinge

Mmmmmm

Onto the top hose holder next

One screw releases it

Another screw releases the floor tool holder

This pointless looking bit unscrews from under the hose port

Flipped over now

Post motor filter doesnt look too horrific tbh

it took me a while to work out how to get the wheels off, but in the end, a good heavy tug popped one of the clips out, then just work around and eventually the 4 heavy clips snap out and the wheel can be removed

I grabbed the other wheel and whipped it apart, had left it for fear of damage initially

Cord rewind next. One screw hides under here

The other two are blatent

This bit was quite tricky, but with lots of careful levering with a screwdriver it popped off, and the cable could be removed

The cassette is held in with a clip at the bottom

Then lifts out

As per other dysons, N to N, L to switch

The power foot button levers out

Same with the cord rewind button

The release valve hides under here, and is strangely old school yellow compared with the rest of the colours!

There is a contact plate that slots into a housing on this edge too

Remove the contact plate, remove all the screws and the top plate lifts off. One of the screws also holds the hose entry port in too

The underside of the release valve

The yellow cap levers out, held in only by its seal, and the rest follows quickly thansk to the big spring

The next stage is the motor

This seal lifts out, one of the only ones that does tbh

As does this little one

This louvre feels like it should be removeable, but is held against 3 edges, and looked a pain in the  :censored: so I left it alone!

Remove the 5 screws as shown in the seal removal picture and the motor housing falls out

4 TINY hex screws hold the motor cap on

Remove these, and lever the clear cap up. The 4 screw places are also clips, so unclip one side at a time. Eventually, you will have this

There is a handy reference arrow on the rubber mount and palstic housing for re-fitting

and another seal to remove

The motor looks like a standard affair

1300w Panasonic job

Main body done, it was on to the cyclone

This machine belongs to a dentist surgery where I used to live, so I wasn't expecting this to be pretty...

Bin off

Bottom flap off, and the release rod removed. Push the tiny clip in at the top and it pulls through. I find it good to wash these and ebhind them to stop gritty operation

Both seals out of the bin bottom

Main cyclone now

Rubber seal off

Prise the clips up all the way round, and eventually it seperates. They did flex a bit, and a few obtained white stress marks but none snapped. Just go carefully, once one goes they all start to unclip

Yummy

I'm not a fan of the micro way cyclones are going, asking for trouble if you ask me!

Luckily the seal assembly is as whole

The hose holder unscrews

There's 6 screws buried in here, get in there and get them out!

This also seperates the top

Cyclone release bar comes out of the middle

The top handle is held in with 1 screw, and has a random spring under it

The top part of the cyclone release drops out of the top lid

Quick look at the turbo tool

Ah

That cleaned up well enough, and I moved onto the floor tool. The wheels were locked solid...

They still didnt spin, and after wrestling/hammering the axles out I could see why!

Drop of grease upon re-assembly

I cleaned the floor tool up without stripping it down as I hate taking them apart! The whole machine was washed, dried and tonight, I commenced re-assembly

Cyclone first

Tip top part of the cyclone release in

Middle part in

Seal in

Cap in

Hose clip screwed back in

Assembly pushed together

And screwed up

Tip seals on

I didn't think this bit came apart, but whilst washing it up it fell apart, must have been held together with crap!

I did try to get the dirt you can see off, but failed sadly. It's ingrained into the plastic

Snapped the bottom back on, and re-fitted the top seal

Bin now

Bottom flap seal in

Flap seal in

last bit of release rod back in

Bottom flap clipped back onto the bin

And the cyclone is done!

Motor next

Outer seal in

Wires tucked into the top seal

arrows lined up

top snapped in

and screwed up

Screwed back onto the chassis

Housing seal fitted

release valve back in

Middle housing fitted

Buttons refitted

Hose input fitted

cord rewind back in

Cord fed back into the guide plate, and the guide plate snapped back into the housing, which is tricky!

Getting there!

Base housing back in

filter back in (I did recommend new ones, but it wasn't to be...Their not too horrific tbh)

Wheels back on

Pre motor filter back in

Filter housing refitted

Looks like a vacuum now

Random bit of housing fitted

Hose holder

Floorbrush holder

Bottom hose holder and cyclone clip fitted

Hose on

Cyclone on

Tried the turbo tool on the DC16, but it was rubbish and barely span it up!

and it's all done!

Will run it back tomorrow on the way home from work, and hopefully when they try it on saturday (dont expect them to fire it up with a dentist full of patients tbh) they will like it!

Hope it helps people out. I have to say, for a modern Dyson it was surprisingly painless and easy.
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline MadeinHolland

• Just dust
Re: Dyson DC22 Stowaway Wood & Wool Stripdown and Refurb
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 11:28:39 am »
And a lovely thread it is!
Got a DC22 coming in to keep my DC26 company and this thread will prove more than useful.
Thanks in advance !
another funky Dyson can be saved now!
It all started with a new DC08 in 2003.
Since 2 years I added DC01's DC02's DC04?s DC05?s  DC07 DC08's DC14 DC15 DC18, DC22, DC 23, DC26 and a DC33.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 12:01:51 pm »
And a lovely thread it is!
Got a DC22 coming in,  to keep my DC26 company and this thread will prove more than useful.
Thanks in advance !
another funky Dyson can be saved now!
Awesome!

The dc22 will be a more practical machine than the 26, never liked using the tiny little cylinders (but I'm glad they exist!)
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline MadeinHolland

• Just dust
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 12:17:49 pm »
I guess they small ones can be practical to Hoover your car or if you live in a studio and I believe that’s what they were designed for originally.
I may end up sending this DC22 to a friend in Italy whose house matches the design idea.
It’s amazing what’s on sale online,  so the risk of ending up with too many Dysons is there. Your YouTube’s and threads are a great encouragement not to stop  :thumbsup:

Since 2 years I added DC01's DC02's DC04?s DC05?s  DC07 DC08's DC14 DC15 DC18, DC22, DC 23, DC26 and a DC33.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 12:19:40 pm »
I'm a terrible influence I know! I'm gradually thinning out too, and getting projects done and gone and not taking new ones as readily for now!

Then oooh look, a £5 interesting vacuum cleaner...

Offline MadeinHolland

• Just dust
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 02:30:19 pm »
If more of the so called ''Infuencers'' were like you, the world would be a better place!  :))

I think the trouble of being in the UK is that Dyson's are dirt cheap... on the ''continent'' they are/were fashion accessories and even a DC08 with a burnt motor will still fetch a decent price.... Although with massive cordless buyers they tend to get cheaper. No skips here with Dyson's anyway.

So buying in euros rather than pounds wont be a solution for you either  :king:
For 5 euro i cant even buy the doghairs in a clogged up filter....
So enjoy the local market as much as you can and let feeling guilty over it, be for the next decade once they have gained value... :))

Dyson Cylinder Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram