I took a chance on this machine a few weeks ago for £4, poor little thing
Was advertised as being dead. I took a chance on it being the cable and not the motor...
It had blown itself apart by the plug (common issue)
The rest of the cable wasnt up to much either
But, I re-stripped the end of the cable, fitted a new plug as the white one was cracked and voila, she fired up beautifully
Seems to have gained a different coloured upholstry tool at some point
The floor tool has a metal soleplate too, I thought they were only on DC02's? All DC05's I've seen have had plastic sole plates.
One problem that wasnt mentioned on the ad is the broken extension pole
I did try to fix it, but it held for about 2 minutes before breaking again... luckily I have a spare DC05 Extension wand in the loft (handily) so swapped them around.
I moved onto the stripdown now.
Pushed out the litter pickers from the back
The wheels removed easily thankfully
as did the attachment bit
I cant take these apart anymore without damaging them so left it as that and washed it whole..
Removed the banana end from the hose and got the tools ready for washing
Finally on to the machine
Post motor filter seems ok
The pre filter looks ok though
popped the top handle/filter housing lid off
Removed the seal
removed the mini cyclone thing
and removed this hair from it
I looked at the wheels next
but wasnt able to get the centre bit out without potentially damaging it, so left it for now
Instead, I managed to get at all the screws with the wheels still on to get the case open
Removed the cable guide
Can see the back of the wheels now, and the back of the plastic pegs
You can see where I tried to lever the left one out from the front... they smack out easier from behind!
motor to cord rewind wiring
Looking at the cord rewind, it seems different to madrats guide
The cable unplugs from the reel and simply pops out of the locating tabs
Without the weight of the cable on it though, the reel started to veeerrryyy slloowwllyyyy unwind so I grabbed a cable tie to stop it loosing tension
Onto the motor now. The front bumper is removed
The motor housing slides out of the chassis now
The front hose holder and cord rewind and power buttons pop off the chassis
Quick wiring reference shot
Wiring released, the motor can be removed
Removed the front wheel
Onto the cyclone next
Cyclone bin emptied
Onto the cyclone unit, 2 screws off
ans the release valve comes off
and then apart
Rest of the cylone comes apart by pulling
All done! Hardly any screws at all on a DC05!
Everything was washed and dried. I put a new cable onto the cord rewind
Played around with the tension a bit and now the plug nearly smashed through the casing if you leave the reel to do its job...
General re-assembly now
Shroud back in
top cone fitted
Release valve re-assembled
lower cone back together
To the chassis now. front wheel back in
Motor went back in the motor housing
and the motor housing was done
fitted the hose holder
Then, I refitted the switch, and lowered the top chassis housing and bumper back on
Cord rewind next
Lower chassis housing fitted
Hose port snapped on next
followed by the pedals (had to remove the hose port to fit the cord rewind pedal...)
Back on with the wheels
and in with the pegs
New post filter in
Washed pre filter back in
floor tool back together