The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson DC14 hot  (Read 2333 times)

Online Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
Dyson DC14 hot
« on: July 16, 2015, 10:13:30 PM »
Hi guys, recently I noticed that my DC14 Animal switch housing was getting hot in use, not by the switch but about an inch away so I presumed it wasn't the switch at fault.

Then, it often went intermittent for no reason, I even wiggled the cable and the vacuum didn't cut out, just cut out randomly on one occasion.

Today, I noticed a spark when I switched the machine off, like a blue  flash, not by the switch but I could see from the translucent purple switch that it was at the bottom of the housing which was weird? It was on the side too. I got a hammer and gently tapped different parts of the housing, every time I tapped, the flash happened.

Then I hit the switch and it died, no power to the vacuum unless I knocked it again, that is so weird though, the switch presses and clicks fine, when I depressed the switch it came back to life, there are no loose connections either, I was the last one to refurb the machine too :/

To summarise;
Hot switch housing
flashing blue sparks
Intermittent (not the cable)
When switch was depressed it was still dead but took a few presses to get it working again :/
This is the weirdest thing I have ever come across with a Dyson
DC14s are tanks, just need a slightly longer motor life. Do plastic parts often break on DC14s? Nope. DC41- Sexy looking futuristic and powerful machine. Just needs a better designed cleaner head wheel and cyclone clip along with a dense metal rod in the chassis.

Online beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Dyson DC14 hot
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 10:49:43 PM »
Your switch is on the way out. 
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Online beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 10:50:46 PM »
Ill swap you that issue for a dc07 that the switch works fine on,  until you put the switch housing on then it doesnt switch on or off at all...

Does the switch still make a nice clicky noise (unplugged obv)  or is there no definition between on and off?
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Online Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 12:02:04 AM »
The switch seems normal and it makes the healthy clicks when unplugged, I was a bit confused though because the housing was quite warm, closer to the cyclone catch than the power switch :/
DC14s are tanks, just need a slightly longer motor life. Do plastic parts often break on DC14s? Nope. DC41- Sexy looking futuristic and powerful machine. Just needs a better designed cleaner head wheel and cyclone clip along with a dense metal rod in the chassis.

Online beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 12:04:20 AM »
Nick a switch from an 02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 14, 15, 24, 25 and try it

Online Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 12:07:21 AM »
Will do :) Actually my DC40 has 2 ;D

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 10:59:16 AM »
Ill swap you that issue for a dc07 that the switch works fine on,  until you put the switch housing on then it doesnt switch on or off at all.

Is the switch housing warped ?.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Online beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 11:11:20 AM »
I thought that, so grabbed a spare swotch housing.  Was still no better,  its all back in the shed now whilst it thinks about what its done...

Online Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 12:14:25 PM »
It died yesterday... So sad I couldn't get it to work as it was a very good machine. 5 mins later...Fixed it! It ain't gonna retire 😃 it was a loose connection of one of the brown wires the switch, weirdly I could have sworn that I was sure that the connections were on properly, lol but yeah I'm glad

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 02:47:24 PM »
I thought that, so grabbed a spare swotch housing.  Was still no better,  its all back in the shed now whilst it thinks about what its done...

Not like you to give up, what about the button itself ?.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

DC14 Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Sebo Vacuum Cleaners

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

The Dyson Medic Blog

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacson Google+

Manchester Vacs on Instagram