The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson DC04i - Stripdown and Refurb  (Read 12387 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Dyson DC04i - Stripdown and Refurb
« on: August 04, 2015, 11:57:31 am »
A few months ago, one of our team managers mentioned that her dyson hose had broken, so she bought a new one... :'(
Fast forward to last thursday, and she told me it was in the back of her car. When she left, I popped with her and grabbed it

Older Dysons came in 2 flavours, Clutched, and Non Clutched.

Non clutched looks like this

And clutched models look like this

If you have a clutch in front of you, you want this thread: https://manchestervacs.co.uk/DysonForum/index.php/topic,1553.0.html

Anyway, I bought this dyson into the office as I had an hour left (everyones used to me and vacuum cleaners so not an eyelid was batted...)

and took it home

It was surprisingly non faded! Tayyab tells me it's a later one, due to the lack of stickers on the cyclone, the lime green handle top, lack of wand cap spring and that the plastics are different being a later one so no fading like the earlier models!

Cyclone off first, and put to one side

Cord off

Wand off

Ah yea, forgot about the broken hose

Had a crevice tool

To remove the hose, grab your trusty flatblade, and push in and up on this tab

Which will pop the hose out

Now you can remove the hose, and in my case, sling it in the bin. Put to one side, or run it through the washing machine on a long hot wash with a few towels and the washable filter that sits in the top of the cyclone.

Onto the wand. The wand cap pulls off from one side then falls off

On most other DC04's there is a metal spring here that clips into 2 tiny holes either side of the wand. Remove this if you have it

Around to the front, and lever off one side of the wand release button

and remove it

Pop the spring to one side.

This next bit I almost advise you DO NOT DO, as the risk of borkage is high, and these wand caps are blummin expensive and rare now... but it does lever out from the back

and then lifts off from the front (dont pull it off)

Again, not really needed but I'll cover it for completeness, if you pop this cap off the top cord hook

and undo the large torx screw that sits under the lithium grease

You get the top cord hook off

This photo came out blurry which was a shame but the wand is now complete!

Next, you need to obtain a lovely DC04 Switch removal tool (https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC04-spares.html/DC04-switch-removal-tool

It can be a b :censored:d, not gonna lie, but it will come out!

You can now remove the screw holding the switch assembly in place

and the switch assembly lifts out

You could strip this part out as well, but they do break easily when removing the switch so I never do anymore. All you need to do is disconnect the neutral wire

Then remove the one live connector from the switch

Unclip the wires from the switch housing

and you should be free

Cable off!

You will need to remove the spade terminal cover off the live wire (no idea why the neutral is showing, sorry!) to get the spine cable out. It does pop out by inserting the switch removal driver into the back of the connector and levering up the locking tab, it locks on the non flat side of the terminal.

Remove the chassis seals

Moving down the machine, pop the post motor filter cover off using the handy lug for just this purpose!

This allows access to the post motor filter

Which really SHOULD NOT be this black!

Next up is the LH Blockage removal assembly. Squeeze both tabs in

and out it comes

To remove the lower part, you hold it like so, the opposite sides to the locking tabs

then squeeze and pull and it will distort away from the tabs and pull off

This then allows you to strip it down as so, the rubber seal pulls off the end of the lower housing

Remove the chassis seal

The seal is held on by a big plastic circlip

This pulls off

Moving underneath the machine, remove the lower blockage removal assembly (this unblocks the wand if you block it via the hose...)

A quick twist of the green part removes it from the u bend if you are being anal about it...

Next is the base plate, and you need to have the machine in this position to start with

because once the locking tabs are undone the base plate comes away like so, and clearance is needed

The base plate lifts away now

There are 2 seals on the baseplate. They may be quite fragile nowadays, and you must not loose them. They do lift out if needed, or can stay in and not harm anyone.

Remove the blockage if you spot one

You will now see the belt winking at you. Pop it off the motor spindle with a screwdriver or your finger

The brushroll lifts out of the housing now

The end caps can be removed now. If you hold both ends and twist/pull, one end will come off. Withdraw the axle and remaining end cap, hold the axle in a vice/molegrips and twist the other end cap off

The bearings sit inside the brushroll

Insert the axle just into the bearing enough so it doesnt come too far out the other side and lever

Damn flash flare, sorry

And out

This brushroll has the common wear on one side, with the other side fine

You could look at replacing it (https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC04-spares.html/brushroll-non-clutch-dc04-dc07-dc14) but it does sound fine when back together, with no vibrations, and the overall brushroll is good. You'll have to make the call.

Now, back underneath and pull the little hose off the machine. The hose may come away from the grey end, pull the grey end off as well.

Now, very carefully rotate the brushroll housing around and lever it out of either end with something, being careful not to snap the locating tabs on the main cleaner housing

The internal hose unscrews from the brushroll housing, and needs to go in here

Now, get yer flatblade out and pop an edge of these locking circlips up

and remove it

Do the same on the other side

Lay the cleaner like so, then raise it slightly so the head flops down even further still. Whislt still in this position, you need to grab each edge by where it pivots

at the same time and it lifts off

Next, we need to work on the changeover valve. Start by popping the 2 small tabs holding the locking part in place

Push in and down and it moves the part away so it doesnt pop back in. Pull it out from underneath with your fingers

This bit is fun... Whilst gently pulling the top part away from the chassis, push up slightly underneath the black part so there's a gap enough for you to get the screwdriver in each end. Pop the tabs up gently

The black part should lift up once the grey part is clear of the chassis, but then get stuck. Slide the grey part out from the front, then wriggle the black part out, it will catch on the seal underneath

Pull the seal off the diverter valve, this is where the wand blockage u bend connects to

Either side of the chassis, where we pulled the front head off are 2 black locating rings. They pull out easily

Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Dyson DC04i - Stripdown and Refurb
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 11:57:48 am »
Wheels now. Lever one of the vanity caps off

Lever the circlip off

and remove the wheel

Remove the 1 or 2 small washers that sit behind each wheel. Withdraw the axle and other wheel from the other side

To get the other wheel off, hold it by the wheel and smack the axle down onto the floor gently, it will pop the vanity cap off, and the wheel will slide off the axle, no need to remove the other circlip on the other end of the axle.

That done, pull the spine cable out of the chassis

Undo all the screws visible on the top of the motor housing, and it should fall off the chassis

There is a removable part of the airflow channel that can come out now. be VERY careful with the seal, 8 out of 10 I do are perished and snapped, the parts do glue together if you cant find another seal though...

The motor housing has a cover on it

Pull the back edges out and it slides off from the front

The motor is held in with a locking ring. Pop each tab out and it comes off easily

Push this part of the cable in slightly so the rubber end clears the housing

To remove the motor, push down on the housing with the belt spindle on the floor, this will pop the motor up slightly

The motor now pulls out from above

Retreive the metal belt guard from the motor mount

Remove the top motor mount

and the fancase motor mount

This motor is only in the non clutched DC04, all other dc04s, 7s and 14s use the common YDK. A YDK can be fitted I think but you need the YDK motor mounts too.

Undo the screws holding the diffuser onto the motor housing

and lift the diffuser out

Nearly there, onto the Cyclone unit now!

Open and empty the bin as usual

Remove the inner cone from the bin

Pull the 'Do Not Remove' seal from the top of the cone

and the smaller seal from the bottom of the cone

Next, open the filter lid on the top

and using a flat blade, pop the locating lugs off one side and remove the lid from the main unit

The handle is held on with 2 screws from underneath. Remove the screws and the handle just slides out

Be VERY careful with this bit too, non faded ones are hens teeth, they get really fragile with age and fading

This is the filter release catch, with its small spring

The filter wasnt too bad, will wash up well

Under the filter are the last 2 screws on the machine

The top cyclone and shroud slide out, possibly taking the bin to housing seal with it as it has done here

This is a messy part, you may want to pop outside for this...

Hold the shroud and cone very firmly by the shroud with both hands

and smack it hard on somethign soft but firm (the lawn, bit of old carpet etc) with enough force to crack the shroud off the cone, but not so much force it shatters the diffuser at the end of the cone...

There is a seal at the top of the shroud

This is the seal that may fall out when you remove the shroud and cone

Never EVER remove this peice, one of the little plastic lugs WILL snap on you, scrapping the part

Lastly is the bleed valve

With some VERY careful levering, the outer cover will pop out

With even more careful levering at the point shown, pop the valve out of the cover. It's held in with a big clip, this may snap off but even if it does the valve glues back into place well enough

To strip the valve, first pop the rear grey cover off

Under there, you need to pull the little rubber/plastic bit off, there's a spring underneath so be careful

It falls apart then

I never normally do this either but a sharp tap with a hammer and broad torx bit releases the little yellow bit

and there we go, the DC04 is componentised. Rebuild pics coming soon!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 01:57:01 pm »
You sir are a complete vandal :)) :tiphat:
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 03:59:41 pm »
Hehe thanks! There's always a job thats made easier with a hammer.

Anyhoo, re-assembly! So, it's all washed, you've sat down infront of the sweeney and polished all the marks off, and cleaned the rubbers and are now ready for reassembly.

I'm not reassembling this in the same order as the stripdown, I forgot I was going to write a thread, so followed my usual order of events

Which starts with the motor!

A light smear of grease around the inner of the motor housing greatly assists in the refitting of the motor

Top mount refitted

This lines up with these locating pegs inside the motor housing

Fancase seal on

Refit the belt guard to the motor housing

Feed the cable into the motor housing

and push it home, making sure the pegs hit the holes and it goes fully in, with the cable grommit protruding out as it should

The motor should protrude a bit

As the retaining ring

Holds it all in place!

The motor housing cover trim snaps back onto the motor housing

You need the chassis now

and this duct

The seal is a pain to get to stay on, and I wouldnt think any less of you if you glued it on in frustration, but it is doable. Once refitted, it should be snug, as the screw mounting locates onto the chassis in the correct way so the motor housing lines up

A smear of grease on the motor rubber helps here, as you need to slide the motor assembly into place and past the end of that duct

Feed the spine cable back into place and out of the top of the chassis

Diffuser next

Changeover valve now

Assembled as above, so the seal on and the black part slid into the grey part, it will go in. Insert the back lugs first, manouver the grey part under the chassis points and it should all snap into place.

Refit the circlip

And then the seal. This is easier if you fit the top part first

Then rotate the whole seal/circlip assembly carefully round and fit the now-top part too

Re-assemble the removeable part of the changeover valve now. Refit the seal to the bottom of the grey part

Refit the chunky spring

and slide the 2 halves together. The bottom but has to be the right way round or it wont fit into the cleaner. You can offer it up off the machine to check before fitting, or just unclip and rotate it if incorrect

Time to refit this little chap, it pushes up from underneath

Refit the black pivot guides

Next, grab a nice new post motor filter

Lob an air freshener under the filter

Fit the filter

Fit the filter housing

I smear a drop of grease on the black pivot guides

then refit the housing, you need to pull both sides out again and drop over the pivot points. Fingers may be trapped, be prepared...

Be sure that the changeover valve isnt fouling the front housing, below is how it should look

Fit both retaining rings

Onto the brushroll housing next

Crack open a fresh internal hose and screw it on

Fit the hose first to the changeover valve, then fit the brushroll housing to the cleaner head.

Take a fresh belt

Next, grab the brushroll bearings we removed earlier, and using a small flatblade driver (or the switch removal tool), pop the black rings off either side of each bearing

Scrape out all the dried out grease, and re-pack with fresh

Pop the black caps back on, rotate it by hand to bed the grease in and re-assemble!

Make sure the edge bristles are at the same orientation, as they fit into the brushroll housing.

Fit the brushroll and belt to the housing

You now need to push/lift the belt over the motor spindle. It's do-able, but can be tough. Once done, rotate the brushroll by hand a few turns to centre the belt up everywhere.

Baseplate back on next

Back on with the wheels

Back on with the lower u-bend

Looking like a DC04 again!

Refit the top chassis seals

Wire the mains cable back up to the chassis cable. If you offer the housing up to the chassis, the part that starts to get thicker needs to be above the hole in the chassis, so the thin park fits through the cutout for the cable grommit, then the whole thing pushes down. Offering the cable hodler up to the housing, and noting where the cables need to start from helps here.

Take your hose (or your last clutchless DC04 hose you have  :( and fit it to the machine

Cord hook back onto the wand

Top cap back on, slide the front in first then push down at the back, manipulating the tabs to slot in

Wand cap back on

wand release catch back in. Insert the top first, as it locates in a cut out, then push each of the sides at the bottom in

All done, put the hose on the wand, fit the wand and wind the cable up!

Cyclone now! Fit the small seal to the top of the shroud

Snap the shroud back onto the cone (its easier than getting it off!)

Release valve now. The all palstic little cap fits into the seal as below

The black cage sits on top of this, and the spring sits inside, that little grey part stops the spring from coming out of the other side

The rubber and plastic part snaps onto the middle and holds it all together

Fit it back into the cyclone housing

Then drop the top cover on and snap into place

If you removed the little yellow insert, re-fit it with a drop of glue now.

Inser the shroud and inner cone into the top housing, maning sure the screw holes line it. It should only go in one way, as there is a cut out for the release valve internally. Screw it up.

Refit the top housing to bin seal around the bottom of the housing

Time to fit the top handle of the cyclone now. The small spring does hold onto the release elever fairly well, so you dont have to worry about that falling off. Locate the pivot points and spring intheir little places, then hold it all down with your thumb on one hand

and then lower the handle down onto it all

Fit the screws quickly to stop the spring popping everything back out again

Take your nicely washed filter, or a new one (or a previously washed one as I have here, with only mild staining...)

Close the handle, and the top of the cyclone is done!

Fit the lower seal to the bin insert

then the top seal, ensuring it is pushed down properly. It 'snaps' into place in a rubbery sort of way

You may need to moisten the lower seal to ensure it doesnt snag when you lower the inner into the bin now it's all clean and will grip the rubber. Ensure it's pushed in fully all the way round

Refit the cyclone

Grab your tools, or a new set if youve bought one

And done, enjoy your as-new DC04!

And add it to the rest...

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 05:25:38 pm »
Very nice! Really detailed and I enjoyed reading it all, lol.

Offline Tech12

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 05:29:24 pm »
Nice job, just hope she appreciates all the hard work you put in  :thumbsup:
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 05:52:36 pm »
Ah this is a selling one,  she bought something else a while ago,  despite me saying I would sort her out with a hose! Hey ho!

Had interest at £55, will see if it gets picked up in the week!

Offline Tech12

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 07:17:44 pm »
They'd be getting a bargain after what you've done to it, good luck with the sale.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 08:41:26 pm »
That's the normal process.  Could do that in 35 mins to stripped,  45 mins for washing and packing the airing cupboard,  then another night 40 mins polishing it all and doing the seals,  then 40 mins reassembling.

Takes a surprisingly large amount of time doing the photos and step by steps! Then 2 odd hours typing it all oit,  copying the text snd links into word incase the session times out and I loose it all,  having to chop it up due to the character limit and posting it!

Offline Dyson2000

• Dyson Restorer and Collector!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 08:51:47 pm »
So Clean, Great Work! . I noticed you put a DC01 video on YouTube. that sounds exactly like mine. :grinn:

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 10:56:33 am »
Well this went last night! A chap who my girlfriend knows (she used to babysit his kids when they were younger, they dont remember her now) came round last night and part exchanged another DC04, which is also surprisingly clean and unfaded! Has a stupid aftermarket hose on that I want to change, but would need to dig some unclean ones out of the shed and get them washed, and not sure when I'll get the time to do that, so may just have to keep the pattern hose on..

So, £40 and this, deal done

I've already done a clutched DC04 rebuild thread, so wont be doing another one!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 10:57:52 am »
So Clean, Great Work! . I noticed you put a DC01 video on YouTube. that sounds exactly like mine. :grinn:

Is that the DC01 Standard that sounds very loud? If so, the base plate was catching on the belt slightly due to a broken screw fastner causing it to sit very slightly on the piss. Some quick stanley blade action had the offending peice removed and she is fairly silent once more!

Got a DC01 Absolute+ to do next, but want a new cleaner head and hepa filter for it before I start...

DC04 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration