A few weeks ago, we bought a clothes rail thing from facebook for £3. Partly so we could use it at the car boot to hang hangy stuff from, and partly so I could see if the wheels could fit the Galaxy...
After some careful whittling down, they do!
The shanks are a bit too long, and they dont push fully home but work well, and transform the machine, since it actually wheels about now! Their the same size as the original ones too, so it doesnt rock about
The bag door comes off (very easily as the catch is broken and missing)
Bag comes out
The filter pulls off the cage. Both bag and filter went in the bin, I have new ones ready to go in
Cord rewind pedal pulls up and out, the spring coming with it
5 screws, and the 2 halves seperate
The electronics at the top plug in with a few spade terminals
A black diffuser sits inside
The post motor filter sits on the outside under a cover
The top handle is held on with a screw
and lifts out
The tool holder unscrews now with a small torx screw
This then enables the control panel cover to be lifted out
it's held in by the moulding of the tool holder
Bit of trim around the bag full indicator
which then lifts out
It was full of fluff, and didnt work. So, I carefully broke it in a re-glueable way to get the piston and spring and fluff out
PCB lifts out
Speed control knob lifts out
I need to get some contact cleaner and give in here a good blast out, see if it cures the jittery running it has on the lowest speed. Sorry for my hand, my phone focused better with it there...
This little rubber sleeve sits on this little plastic tube
Top half emptied, it's time to move onto the bottom half
The bag chamber baffle lifts out
The connectors to the pcb
It sits on 3 rubber bungs ontop of the fan casing. One of which doesnt fit and was sat ontop, and fell out, so hopefully it becomes obvious how it goes...
red wire diagonally opposite
Carbon holders marked. This is the same motor as in a Hoover Compact, and I;ve known those to be finicky about being taken apart, so everything goes back the way it was...
Carbons are in good condition, and were again marked for orientation
Top fancase tapped off
little bit of rust
top fan off
thats very dirty...
second fan casing tapped off
the 2 parts are melted together so I left them well alone and washed them whole
had an ouchie
only realised when I saw blood on parts..
second fan out
lets see whats under this top cover
jesus thats very dirty...
the carbon holders are held in with a screw each
and the brass holders pull out from the plastic holders
the coil falls off the armature
I scraped the top bearing housing cleaner
The armature taps out of the fan bearing and top of the fancase assembly thing
This bearing is
. It was hard to turn, and I used the galaxy for a good 20 mins before doing this, it took me an hour to get to this bit and it was still warm...
check I've got a shiney new replacement...
The comm is quite clean. I've had issues with a sparky compact motor before after polishing it up, so left it alone... the machine is too rare to be breaking it now...
Motor apart, it was back to the bodywork. This bit of trim sits above the cable exit, and pops off the housing
several big tabs hold the cord reel assembly into the machine
Again, being so unobtanium, and workign so damn well, it's really fast and sharp, I dusted it off with a soft brush and left it be!
Floortool now. Sadly it's a bit rusty, but then they all do that sir!
Sadly I caught the edge of the bed with the floortool and split the moulded end, so the pivot point was easy to remove. Decided to take advantage of it now and glue it up on reassembly
Everything was washed and dried
and I attacked the body with the rotary and various polishes and pads
was a total bastard to hold steady whilst i polished though. Lick of wax made it even better!
So far, that's it. Needs to go back together tomorrow, and the bottom part needs polishing too... Going well so far though!