The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Bissell 9500 E  (Read 1201 times)

Offline brett83

Bissell 9500 E
« on: November 25, 2015, 12:12:57 AM »
Has anyone had any experience fixing these before?

I have one in for repair and I am absolutely baffled.  It came in as the owner suspected the mai motor was noisy and smelling of electrical burning.  I switched it on to test and it went 'bang' sparked out the side and popped the fuse in the plug.

I happened to have a scrap 9200 E which was faulty because it wasn't spraying water.  All the parts were the same, so I swapped the motor out, the 2 EMI filters and the PCB in the handle, which had definitely blown, because there was black soot inside the plastic handle near it.

Switched it on for a second time and it went bang again.   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Really confused now !!

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Brett

Online Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
Re: Bissell 9500 E
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 12:38:59 AM »
Well for me I had a dodgy Dyson DC14 once (burnt out) and when I unplugged it I swear I got an electric shock from the plug even though it wasn't plugged in. I thought that this problem is guaranteed to be resolved if I swap ALL electrics. So a new motor, cable and switch (in a simple circuit of a Dyson) solved it beautifully.

So what other electrical parts are in the Bissell? It is probably the fault of that/those part(s)
Personally I am not really sure if it's worth repairing it because after all, it's a Bissell. But hey, nice project and was once the latest model!  ;)
DC14s are tanks, just need a slightly longer motor life. Do plastic parts often break on DC14s? Nope. DC41- Sexy looking futuristic and powerful machine. Just needs a better designed cleaner head wheel and cyclone clip along with a dense metal rod in the chassis.

Online beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 12:50:42 AM »
I hear the word Bissell, and I run away....
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Online Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 12:53:31 AM »
Lol btw Bissell sell their vacuums at such low prices that when the vacuum breaks the consumer would just buy another one, for example the Bissell Easyvac was like 30 in Asda! A new filter costs like half price of the freaking vacuum lol
DC14s are tanks, just need a slightly longer motor life. Do plastic parts often break on DC14s? Nope. DC41- Sexy looking futuristic and powerful machine. Just needs a better designed cleaner head wheel and cyclone clip along with a dense metal rod in the chassis.

Offline Tech12

• Electrical Appliance Engineer / Trainer.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 08:49:08 AM »
You don't mention replacing the cable, it's reasonably common for mains flexibles to go where they enter a machine. If the wires are touching, bang & the fuse blows.
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.
City & Guilds and PAT qualified engineer.

Online beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 10:03:32 AM »
I fixed a dc33 last night with just this issue!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Tech12

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 10:21:06 AM »
Hey Sam: Yep, first thing I look at for that sort of problem.

How are the family doing ?
Repairs to All makes of Small Commercial & Domestic appliance. Power tool repair.

Online beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 10:28:15 AM »
Not bad.  Currently standing outside evas nursery waiting for them to open...

Offline Tech12

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 10:46:29 AM »
Cool, glad everyone's OK  :thumbsup:

Offline brett83

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 09:28:38 AM »
It's actually a carpet cleaning machine.

Cable test out ok. I think it might be the brush bar motor but can't get it out the belt side is stuck on. Going to need a hack saw :-)

Online Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 11:04:29 AM »
Probs a hidden screw, had that with my Electrolux Z61A workzone

Offline Tech12

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 11:59:59 AM »
It doesn't really matter what machine it is, if it's fed with a flex & moveable in use. Testing the flex is simple, takes very little time & can save loads of aggravation.
If you've got the machine body open & you can get at the brush bar motor connections, disconnect the motor connections and try again.

Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Sebo Vacuum Cleaners

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

The Dyson Medic Blog

Dyson Spares, Parts, AdviceFollow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacson Google+

Manchester Vacs on Instagram