Hmm, probably not correct but I have two methods I have used, one is just get a wire with a plug on the end, and bare wires on the other, attach them to the terminals on the motor and switch it on at the socket.
The other is I have a bench PSU, 12V-240V capable up to 3,000W. I do the same method but attach the wires into the PSU, have a switch on that wire and just attach the wires to the terminals on the Motor.
Not had any issues yet, but I'm not stupid enough to touch the wires while it's live lol. I did how ever get a full shock from a Generator in the summer, Couldn't use my legs for about 2 minutes... It was because the heater I was load testing the Generator with was faulty, and I never grounded the Generator lol.