The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Still keep getting dust in pre motor filter  (Read 4117 times)

Offline dragoncurt

• Dyson FTW !
Still keep getting dust in pre motor filter
« on: June 14, 2016, 12:27:36 am »
I thought these cyclones are supposed to go and spin the dirt out of the air and then to the bottom of the bin. But when I am just everyday cleaning there is always dirt and fluff in the filter before the motor. Is this supposed to be like this as I would have thought not. Or is it I need to clean the cyclone out more often. The suction is good like always but the dirt I get is just like normally.

I don't see why I should be getting so much fluff and dirt which I would have thought the cyclone would of been able to spin it out and put it in the bin.

Thanks

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
Re: Still keep getting dust in pre motor filter
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 01:19:41 am »
With the cyclone there's the rectangular exit hole. Which number is that? Also are u using carpet fresheners/vacuuming fine dust? That can cause the filter to get dirtier quicker. Also, make sure the bottom FDC seal isn't loose or anything and sits flush when closing the bin flap. Any pics?

Try jet washing the cyclones with a pressure washer. Remove the bin, remove the top 3 screws & the handle homes off. hen pull the cyclone fins down and it will come off along with the shroud coming off next. Now wash all of it inside out. I recommend using a powerful pressure washer or something.

Dc07 cyclones are quite good at separating dust from the air, but not so much with the early models. The latest models were the best despite the howling noise

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 09:37:58 am »
I find the uprights keep the filters cleaner than the cylinders. I reckon it's due to the size. An upright's cyclone is taller, so more chance of the fine dirt getting up high enough to work through the system is lower (still happens though). On a cylinder, cos the whole thing is shorter more dirt works its way through the bazillion mph downforce or whatever they call it today, and onto the filter!

There's probably a reason the early machines said to wash the filter every 6 months, then the newer ones say wash every month. Now they have no filters, and I'm skeptical about the whole thing!

What sort of dust do you have too? Fine light dust is always a pain, take plaster dust as an example. Sand seems to work its way out as well, the amount of DC07/14s I've had that have half a beach under the post motor filter is shocking!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline dragoncurt

• Dyson FTW !
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 11:41:28 pm »
Hi

Forgot that I had posted about this.

I have washed the whole cyclone out now so just going to use it tomorrow as it has had more than 48 hours to dry. My ! there was a lot of small bits of fluff and then very dirty fine dust which I don't know how. But at least it is now clean. I will find out and also add some images up.

Thanks all

DC07 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram