The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Hoover Senior 652C - Stripdown, Repair and Refurb!  (Read 946 times)

Online beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Hoover Senior 652C - Stripdown, Repair and Refurb!
« on: August 02, 2016, 12:04:20 AM »
Hello my vacuum cleaner chums!

I thought I would show you a vacuum cleaner I bought the other month!

ila_rendered

It is a Hoover Senior! Very battered and bruised though

ila_rendered

The cable looks ok...

ila_rendered

Proper giffertastic plug on it

ila_rendered

Underneath wasn't too bad

ila_rendered

And it looks to me a very nice 652A from December 1969 (same vintage as Mvac's 1346!) However, and this is where it gets interesting...

ila_rendered

The chassis says 652C, which, according to the old Hoover beards, did not technically exist. The explanation I got was that the 6525C was originally going to be the 652C, and a few chassis must have been cast before the number amendment! This one just got labelled up as a very late 652A. So it seems to be quite rare!

ila_rendered

Sadly the bag zip was stuck, but some careful* application of some pliers sorted that out, and the torn bag could be withdrawn

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Online beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Hoover Senior 652C - Stripdown, Repair and Refurb!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 12:10:53 AM »
ila_rendered

The bag needs some stitching sorting, and I'm torn between having a go myself, or asking the woman who lives 2 doors down who I know is into sewing and stuff if she wouldn't mind having a go...

I washed it anyway

ila_rendered

And it sits in the shed, awaiting a rainy day. The purpose of this post really is to ask Gareth (Vacuum Cleaner House) what he thinks of the hood, and the likelihood of a novice having a crack at sanding it smooth and polishing it back up again... I could get it clean and shiny as is, but the mass of scratches on the top would ruin an otherwise good finish. The hood will be painted, I have that planned out already, just need to buy supplies!

I took a before video, obviously!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doeRic8tWC4" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doeRic8tWC4</a>

This won't get done anytime soon, I want to have a clearout of all the machines I need to sell first! But I thought you would like to see it!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Hoover Master

• I like dyson,numatic and miele most.
Re: Hoover Senior 652C - Stripdown, Repair and Refurb!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 10:52:04 AM »
Will probably come up well knowing how all your other refurbishments go :thumbsup:
My Hoover 1334 needs work and my blue 119 thing does too. It has a lot of original tools on the original box

Dyson Spare Parts

Sebo Vacuum Cleaners

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

The Dyson Medic Blog

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacson Google+

Manchester Vacs on Instagram