The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson DC16 Animal cuts out?!  (Read 7255 times)

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
Dyson DC16 Animal cuts out?!
« on: November 19, 2016, 12:10:17 AM »
I picked up a DC16 Animal last night and it's brilliant when it works! Cleans well (the mini motorised head is amazing), but unfortunately it cuts out every 10 secs or so, but when I blocked the suction off with my hand for about 1 minute it ran completely fine with no cutting out throughout that?! When I removed my hand so the machine could breathe again, it instantly cut out. I originally thought it was the battery, however I noticed there was a metal magnet sensor thing for the filter and made sure it's seated correctly, filters clean etc and it still does the same thing  :'(

Anyone reckon it's the filter sensor? Thanks ;)

These filter sensors are really problematic and annoying, I hope they aren't on the V6/8 models.
DC14s are tanks, just need a slightly longer motor life. Do plastic parts often break on DC14s? Nope. DC41- Sexy looking futuristic and powerful machine. Just needs a better designed cleaner head wheel and cyclone clip along with a dense metal rod in the chassis.

Offline Madrat

Re: Dyson DC16 Animal cuts out?!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 11:40:20 PM »
It will be the filter sensor, try holding a magnet to the sensor and see if it runs, You could try a new filter or bypass the sensor.  I love my dc16 animal, as you say the mini head is fantastic.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 12:34:43 AM »
I unfortunately damaged the motor unit, will need a new one :| The rest of it's fine, charger and motorised head etc, just either want it fixed or my 20 back
So presuming the filter sensor is messed up, I have faith that the battery may be fine after all? ;D
DC14s are tanks, just need a slightly longer motor life. Do plastic parts often break on DC14s? Nope. DC41- Sexy looking futuristic and powerful machine. Just needs a better designed cleaner head wheel and cyclone clip along with a dense metal rod in the chassis.

Offline Mel

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 12:42:56 AM »
Hi guys. I have exactly the same problem with my dc16. Healthy battery, good charger ... and it does the same trick. I thought that is from faulty sensor....removed it and bypassed it and still do the same... Any ideas please 😓

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 02:49:09 PM »
Such a weird handheld, these filter sensors ugh, really hope the odels from DC59 onwards doesn't have them
I gave up with my DC16, I'd say you need a new motor unit unfortunately

Offline Mel

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 02:58:25 PM »
I'm not giving up easy, but I don't think that is a motor fault. It looks like control circuit fault to me. I can't find replacement PCB on line ether?! Do they sell them as a spare?

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 03:11:21 PM »
No I mean the motor should be fine, but it's the motor unit/housing you need to replace entirely, but if you find a PCB, it may or may not work 100%

Offline Mel

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 03:40:56 PM »
After playing with it for 2 days notice difference of discharging speed in one of the battery cells. Fully charged they all over 2.3V , but after few attempts to run - 20V, 22V, 22V. Do you think is worth it 22 euro for new battery from ebay ?

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 03:51:19 PM »
After playing with it for 2 days notice difference of discharging speed in one of the battery cells. Fully charged they all over 2.3V , but after few attempts to run - 20V, 22V, 22V. Do you think is worth it 22 euro for new battery from ebay ?

Probably if there is a returns policy just in case it's not the battery at fault.

Offline Madrat

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 07:13:28 PM »
To be honest there is never a cut a dry fault with these things, I would try a new battery, you can get them for 16 on ebay and if it's not that you can always sell it on.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, AdviceFollow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration