The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson DC 24 brush bar electrical problem  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Corbid

Dyson DC 24 brush bar electrical problem
« on: October 09, 2017, 04:50:11 am »
Hi,

I have been having some issues with a DC 24 I received from a friend. The brush bar stopped working and they didn't want it anymore. I searched the forums and thought I had tracked down the problem to the tilt switch. I first swapped the switches for the main power and brush power up at the top and they seemed to function fine. I went down to the "upright switch" and found that if I bypassed the switch the brush bar would function. I ordered a new switch but when I installed it I still had the same problem. I started checking the functioning of the switch manually on the switch itself, and there didn't seem to be a problem. It seemed the reclining of the vac itself was part of the issue. I found that the brush bar would run as I tilted the vac back, but it would cut out again when the handle was fully reclined. I'm not sure if this is a wiring issue, or if there is another switch that I am missing somewhere. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Madrat

Re: Dyson DC 24 brush bar electrical problem
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 03:06:28 pm »
I would say there is a break in the wiring loom.

Offline Corbid

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 06:38:05 am »
Seems the wiring loom comes with the yoke assembly for the DC 24, and is pretty pricey. Any chance there some kits out there with just the required wiring without the full yoke assembly? If not, does anyone have any idea on how big of a pain it would be to go through and replace the old wires with new ones in the yoke? I'd love to jump right into it, but I figure I should give the old "work smarter not harder" a shot before I jump in. Thanks for the help.   

Offline wolf

• dyson repairer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 08:10:45 pm »
This can be done without replacing yoke, you will need a silicon base supple wire, If you have some peace   :thumbsup: you should be able to complete repair in about a good hour,  Look on ebay you should find a second hand part, I found one there dirt cheap about 7 months ago :tiphat:
wolf

Offline Corbid

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 04:31:12 am »
Thanks for the help and advice! Do you happen to have any idea what gauge the wire is? Thanks!

Offline ryevac

• Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 08:58:07 pm »
I used this before. 18AWG Silicone Lead Wire Cable 150/0.08mm

off the top of my head - it's a red and white cable on the yoke for a dc24.
As Madrat says it is likely to be a bad cable, should see a crack in the outer with black arcing mark on the offending area.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Black-Blue-White-Yellow-18AWG-Silicone-Lead-Wire-Cable-150-0-08mm-/282441220303?var=&hash=item41c2cf00cf:m:mGT5tXMozYrPa2zhmmYMk2g

change the whole two lengths, it's awkward but if you try joining it, you will have problems in the future

The only way to fail is not to try.

Offline Corbid

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 02:48:15 am »
Awesome! It doesn't seem to be a huge project, but you saved me a lot of "trial and error" time (wrong size wire, trying to splice it, etc). Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it!

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration