Sorry to revive such an old thread, but as it possibly fits so perfectly the issue I seem to have with my DC34 Animal, I thought I should post.
My machine was working fine on its original battery, but the life was very poor, I inherited it from my late parents and having never considered buying one, I tried it out and found it to be pretty useful. So my next step was to buy an aftermarket battery, which worked fine and restored the run time. Seeing that this was a good solution I bought a second battery and on fitting that, the whole machine was dead. Original battery also doesn't run the machine.
Looking a little deeper, I checked the (Type A) batteries and they both have over 23V at the large terminals and the body evidently has large capacitors inside as the terminals in the handle stay at higher than 20V for a good long time after unplugging the batteries.
I had the motor/handle apart and stripped it down completely and can see no damaged parts, the electrolytic capacitors still have almost all their rated capacitance and I can see no signs of damaged components, though my attempts to go through and examine the components themselves are somewhat hampered by the lacquer coating the components on the board.
Back to the batteries - does anyone know the function of the three terminals? I'm not seeing any Volts on them (indeed I wouldn't expect to given they are not physically protected).
Assuming the body must be faulty, I bought a replacement from eBay that was described as fully working. Same deal, no function.
Thanks for any help.