The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Hoover Senior 6525E  (Read 5277 times)

Offline Sgr1973

Hoover Senior 6525E
« on: December 17, 2018, 05:37:09 pm »
Hi all,

I have a senior 6525E in first class condition (was!!) that seemed to blow up yesterday while in use. It was working perfectly than out of no where made a horrendous pop like bang, puff of smoke through the hood vents and a small flame for around a second before shutting down. It left a terrible smell.

Its kept in the garage and not been used frequently.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could have happened and if they think it could be fixable? I thought it sounded like the motor was away but am not very tecnically minded.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Madrat

Re: Hoover Senior 6525E
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 06:18:40 pm »
I would say it could be the capacitor has gone bang, but if its stored in the garage its could have got damp and has arced somewhere.

Offline Sgr1973

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 08:24:41 pm »
Thanks for that.
I had wondered about damp with being in the garage. I realise how old they are and parts being scarce but are these particular parts you mention readily available if that’s the fault?

Offline Madrat

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 10:11:59 pm »
Hmm possibly, if you can find the specs off the old capacitor your best bet is RS components or ebay might have the originals. BEKO (member on this forum, not the company) or ryevac will know more.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 09:10:49 am »
Yep, supressor has gone! Very common on that age, being a metal tube makes it sound 7x worse than it is!

Honestly, just remove it and join the wires together. It's not 1972 anymore, digital TV does not pick up the interference, I regularly use mine with no supressor and it affects nothing
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 09:20:03 am »
Like this (exactly the same motor and might be the same supressor wiring as yours too)

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Just join the wires. Excuse my terrible job with one too many crimps but the wires going to the supressor have a diode in which pulls out VERY easily

ila_rendered

I sort of try to unscientifically prove the interference thing here, filmed during the height of summer, bliss!

This will help you get it apart if you need too, their all the same

https://manchestervacs.co.uk/DysonForum/index.php/topic,1358.0.html

Good luck sir!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Sgr1973

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 08:45:25 pm »
Thanks Beko1987. I’ve done some research and saw your video pre ‘explosion’.
I thought that sounded like my experience.
I will now take apart and try and follow your fix.
Thanks for the detailed reply. The hoover is in great condition and I don’t want to lose it.

Offline Sgr1973

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 05:40:53 pm »
Hi
Finally got round to opening the hood and this is what I found.
Just looking for some clarification that it is the suppressor and that no one can see anything else more sinister.

Many thanks for all your feedback

Offline Sgr1973

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 05:47:30 pm »
Pictures, forgot to attach

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 09:35:55 pm »
Yep, that's the supressor! Having done its deed and prolapsed everywhere!

Literally just join the same colour wires together either side using crimps, solder or spit and hope and job's a good-un! Just put the screw back in the top bearing housing (or remove the other 3 and give it a smear of grease then refit!

By the time you've got to that stage, whip out the 4 screws holding the motor to the chassis, then lift the motor and itll flip over to the side upside down wired up, pair of grips snugly on the belt spindle but mind it doesn't slip and chew it up, hold the fan and twist the grips, remove the belt spindle, fan, all the spacer washers and the little metal spacer and flood much 3 in 1 oil at the fancase bearing. Always tunes them up a treat!

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration