The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Rebuilding a DC14  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Rocket

Rebuilding a DC14
« on: March 11, 2020, 11:14:12 PM »
I received a DC14 that sort of worked.  By sort of, I mean it turned on, and vacuumed a bit, but the plug and prongs would get really, really hot.  Being new to the vacuum cleaner world, I google possible causes, and loose connections at the motor seemed high on the list.  So I took the whole thing apart.  The existing motor had a rusty housing, and the bearings made scraping noises if I spun it by hand, but since they were slide on connections, they weren't really loose.  I figured a new motor would do the trick, since the old one was a mess.

I got the new motor, put it in, put the vacuum all back together, and unfortunately the plug is still pretty hot.  The prongs were a bit bent, so I straightened them with pliers, and tried to remove any corrosion with a scratch pad.  Darn it if it doesn't still get hot.  It's better, yes, but I can't touch the prongs with my fingers for more than a couple of seconds after powering down and unplugging.  The cord gets warm about 10cm down from the wall plug. I'm thinking there may be some sort of damage in the plug/cord right there at the end.

The question: Can I just replace the plug only, and not the whole cord? Also, the seals are pretty shot on this old girl, does anyone sell a kit with all?  I was looking to get a bit cheaper price by buying all at once, perhaps.

Offline ryevac

• Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement
Re: Rebuilding a DC14
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 11:37:59 AM »
The cores inside the main supply can shred and eventually break.
I see you are in usa, so knowing little about your electrics and plugs i presume you can purchase a wireable replacement two pin plug ? just cut 12" from the end, fit new plug and see if that sorts it.
The cable can be damaged also at the entry point on the machine, quite common for cables to break at this point in uk.
Remove the main on / off switch too and if it feels rough replace it.

seals ? you mean the rubber seals etc ? if not cracked or split just wash them in hot soapy water, i usually treat mine with automotive rubber lubricant when refitting.
The only way to fail is not to try.

Offline Rocket

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 04:18:58 PM »
The cores inside the main supply can shred and eventually break.

Do you mean where the cord connects to the motor, the slide-on connectors?

seals ? you mean the rubber seals etc ? if not cracked or split just wash them in hot soapy water, i usually treat mine with automotive rubber lubricant when refitting.

Yes, the rubber seals.  They have lost their shapes and now don't connect properly to the hard plastic.

Offline Rocket

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 11:25:12 PM »
Another follow up.  Since I last posted, I realized that not only does the plug end get hot, it also gets hot where the cord goes into the vacuum.  So I took the housing off of the switch and ran it for a little bit, and the actual switch is SCORCHING hot.  As in, pull your hand away quickly because itís going to burn you hot.  The cords are a little hot, but Iím thinking if I replace the switch, it should get me one step closer to fixing this thing.  Agreed?

DC14 Spare Parts

FFP2 N95 Face Masks

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Sebo Vacuum Cleaners

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice†††Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacson Google+

Manchester Vacs on Instagram