The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC25 Brush head  (Read 505 times)

Offline roth

DC25 Brush head
« on: April 27, 2020, 12:28:46 PM »
Hello,
I recently discovered your site, from following Bekos excellent Dyson DC25 strip down and reassembly videos, thank you.
I stripped mine down as the brush head wasn't rotating. It started working after reassembly, but the brush head motor started sparking. It still works when you press the reset switch. I was planning on replacing the  brush head altogether now, is it correct to assume that the brush head does still get power, so the problem is in the brush head?
I also found one piece while I was taking it apart. I assume this is form the Dyson, but couldn't see where from, and it seems to be operating fine (except the brush head).
Just wondering off you have any thoughts where this bit might come from?

Many thanks

R

Online ryevac

• Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement
Re: DC25 Brush head
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 03:59:17 PM »
I am pretty certain that part is not from you DC25, and sure the other guys will confirm this.
That is from a switch mech, the plastic barb sits behind a panel and the spring is there to keep the plastic upto this level.

You have asked a question relating to your issue, which has been asked so many times, i think you would benefit from carrying out a forum search on the subject.

There are basically 3 possibilities here, reset switch, yoke cable and head motor.

Head motor will spark in a fine uniformed manner, but if it's like an arc welder then its worn out and requires replacing.

The yoke cable on rhs under side cover, breaks causing intermittent operation and this is the usual reason for no head operation. (and most likely)

The reset switch can fail and become intermittent - i have had this but it is uncommon.

Head motor is relatively simple, stu has a video on the forum.
Reset switch is fairly straight forward.
yoke cable is easy for the experienced, but can be a bit daunting for those who are not familiar with it.
If you are lucky it will only need the head motor replacing, but be aware (and many have done this) you can replace the whole head and the fault remains.
Hope that information helps.
The only way to fail is not to try.

Offline roth

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 05:43:36 PM »
Many thanks Ryevac, much appreciated.
I suspect  you are right about the spare part, I'm reassured for having run it by someone more knowledgeable!  I had viewed the various threads about the brush roller, but your answer is again very succinct and helpful, thank you! I replaced the reset switch when I took it apart, and also had a look inside the yoke and the cables seemed fine, although I realise from the forum that they can break inside the plastic wire sheath and so be invisible. But hopefully not that. The head motor makes a slightly burning smell when it sparks, so I suspect its time for a replacement, but this will be much cheaper than the whole brush roller, so sounds like my next step.
Once again, many thanks

Online ryevac

• Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 06:30:27 PM »
Hi
Yes ok, tbh if the head is looking just about knackered then replace.
It's amazing the difference it makes moving one of these with a new head fitted.

Let us know how you get on with it.
The only way to fail is not to try.

Offline roth

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 11:42:31 AM »
Great, will do, many thanks

FFP2 N95 Face Masks

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Sebo Vacuum Cleaners

Instagram