The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC25 Motor what are the signs of needing replacement?  (Read 2702 times)

Offline lroverv8

DC25 Motor what are the signs of needing replacement?
« on: December 07, 2011, 07:34:55 PM »
Hi all,  I just picked up a well used DC25. I'm not sure if I should replace the motor. It seems to run fine and have strong suction, but it sounds loud. I am getting 93 to 99 decibels (when standing at the machine as if vacuuming). I have nothing to compare these readings with as this is my first DC25.

This DC25 appears to have had a very HARD life. Can anyone tell me if the sound is normal, or any other things/signs to look for when evaluating the motors condition?

Thanks for any advice!

Offline Dyson Tech

• Global Moderator
Re: DC25 Motor what are the signs of needing replacement?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 11:44:22 PM »
I cannot relate to what 99 decibels sounds like but looking at this chart that sounds very loud.

They are a smaller motor than some other models and usually are not loud enough to comment on. So, I suspect yours must be louder that usual.

As it has had a hard life, it sounds like the bearings may be worn. That tends to cause motors to be noisy. A replacement motor would be the easy solution.

However, we had one a few days ago that came in with a suspected motor bearing issue, and that was very loud.  :o  Turns out something plastic had been sucked down the duct housing (and the cyclone has to be off for that to happen) and it had lodged at the motor inlet and was catching the blades. That made an awful noise.

I would strip it down and bench test the motor and take a view then.
Manchester Vacs Dyson and Sebo Engineer
We expect that by seeking advice here, you are competent enough to be able to make any electrical installations safely and in a safe and legal manner in your jurisdiction. If you are in any doubt whatsoever, do consult an electrician. You accept/implement any advice you read at this site at your own risk. Dyson and Sebo Spares and Service

Offline lroverv8

Re: DC25 Motor what are the signs of needing replacement?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 12:53:31 AM »
Thank you for your time :thumbsup: I will take your advice and strip it down, and bench test. Probably replace to be on the safe side...

Dyson Spare Parts

Sebo Vacuum Cleaners

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

The Dyson Medic Blog

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacson Google+

Manchester Vacs on Instagram