The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: dc07 motor question  (Read 2748 times)

Offline nexxusone

dc07 motor question
« on: April 21, 2012, 01:05:25 AM »
with my dc07 striped to a spine if i look where the hepa filter should be theres, a little black grill which ive removed (just to inspect) and upon switching on the vacum maybe 1 in 5 times theres a blue spark from motor and or carbon brush area..... is this a sign of motor failure or just a normal thing....

Online __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
Re: dc07 motor question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
with my dc07 striped to a spine if i look where the hepa filter should be theres, a little black grill which ive removed (just to inspect) and upon switching on the vacum maybe 1 in 5 times theres a blue spark from motor and or carbon brush area..... is this a sign of motor failure or just a normal thing....

Does the sparking stop after switch on or is it continuous? You would expect a minimal amount of sparking to begin with but that should die down once the motor is running.

Are certainly signs that the motor may be on its way out but the best bet would be to inspect the brushes and commutator if you can gain access to them and are a bit handy. There are plenty of motor removal guides such as http://dysonmedic.com/DC07%20Folder/DC07%20Motor%20change.html

Offline nexxusone

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 11:45:40 AM »
just on start up it sparks, but i have a spare motor, so i will probably strip it down and replace

Online __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 01:44:19 PM »
just on start up it sparks, but i have a spare motor, so i will probably strip it down and replace

It sounds like you might be ok then as you would expect a couple of sparks. If you've  got a spare motor anyway, you could well just leave the existing one in and then replace when it dies. No point in replacing it if it's ok.

Are you looking at the motor because it's lost its suction?

Offline nexxusone

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »
might do i have 2x dc04's and dc14 as well so might just use to see if it ok for a few weeks

DC07 Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Sebo Vacuum Cleaners

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

The Dyson Medic Blog

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacson Google+

Manchester Vacs on Instagram