As the DC25 machines get older, we see more and more of them in for repair.
As time goes on, we start to see certain faults time and time again. This particular fault was very hard to find the first time we encountered it. Now it is one of the first things we check.
When the brushroll motor isn't working, we usually suspect the motor itself. But this isn't always the problem. Before committing yourself to a new cleanerhead or a replacement brushroll motor, check that you have power coming from the machine itself to the cleanerhead.
More and more we are finding we don't have power from the machine. Plugging the suspect cleanerhead onto another machine often confirms it works fine.
Most people usually start stripping the switch housing down at this point, but wait a moment before you do.....
Very often, the problem is this:
One or both of these wires tend to break up. Sometimes invisibly so inside the rubber. Test the feed to and from the micro switch to eliminate that, and confirm the diagnosis.
We are seeing this problem more and more, and we have had two this week alone!
We have tried to fix the wires on some, but that is fiddly and simply caused flexing right by the repair hastening the same thing happening again a month or so later (yeah, been there)
The proper fix is to replace the little loom itself. It comes like this:
And as we have started to use so many of them, today we put them on our shop.
You can find them here: >>DC25 Yoke Assembly Loom<<
I hope this saves a few people the misery of stripping a machine down to the bare bones looking for a fault that is in fact a broken wire you often can't see.