The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Free dc40 find!  (Read 5157 times)

Offline dysondc16

Free dc40 find!
« on: May 20, 2016, 11:04:38 pm »
I've had a lucky week having found a dc40 and a miele for free! the dc40 wasn't in bad shape and did not even require a full strip down. It looked like someone had tried to kill it with plaster dust, but there wasn't much and the pre filter sacrificed itself to save the machine. I forgot to take before pictures, but it looked about like any well used dyson does.

ila_rendered

I did have to put a new cleaner head on, the old one was filthy and very worn. It would have required many new parts and I was able to get an entire new one for cheap.

ila_rendered

The tools were in very good condition, with the end of the crevice tool being the only thing to show any wear.

ila_rendered

The last time these areas will be nearly this clean.

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

I still don't know if i'm going to keep it or not. It has been my daily since the pictures were taken, and I like it for the most part. It cleans better than I expected, and the bin is filling nicely and evenly. But the wand keeps popping out of the handle during use, requiring me to stop, pull out the wand and slip it back into it's slot periodically. Is this a known fault? The filter has also soiled some already, so the cyclones must not be too good. I have a dc25 I need to refurb still, once done I'll decide which to keep for use.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
Re: Free dc40 find!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 02:02:15 am »
Very nice!
As for the wand popping out issue (either the wand, the handle or both) may need replacing. I had an ole early DC41 which was kind of abused and well used, he cleaner head wheel was missing so it sealed to the carpet powerfully hance causing stress to the handle when turning it etc so it got worn and popped out whenever I turned the machine right.

I have now got a brand new DC41 Mk2 and this doesn't have the problem, so I would probably replace the wand first. Mine didnt look worn but still popped out which was odd. Just a *slight*  bit of wear though

I'm not a big DC40 fan sadly, I prefer the DC41 but that doesnt mean the DC40 is a bad vacuum for some people, glad you like it :thumbsup ;D  It's lightweight as well! Nice stiff bristles which I love too and it's modern ;D

The DC25 performance is alright, but I guess it's because of the brushroll. The DC25 cleaner heads leak a lot of suction and aren't very good on thick pile/medium pile carpets. We have thin carpet and it does well on that but on my bedroom carpet which is thick, he ball sinks into the pile and the head gets pushed up (if that makes sense) so only skims the carpet. The DC40/41 ball has a gap for the ball hose and it sinks in deeper to the carpet, yes but the active base plate is fantastic, works really well at adjusting to different carpet piles etc.

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 06:42:12 pm »
Thanks Parwaz, I figured replacing the wand may fix it, but I wanted to check first. I remember your battered old dc41, and your lucky replacement dc41 mk2!

I do have a dc25 blueprint (you can see it in the first pic) which I briefly used, I mainly like the more solid feel it had compared to this one. But I wouldn't use the blueprint regularly. I'd refurb the animal for that.

I do agree about the larger models having much better performance. I had used a dc40 before so I knew what to expect. It is actually slightly better than I expected, and I can't complain about the price! Just need to find a free cinetic now........

I was really impressed how well the dc40 worked on hard floors. It can struggle with larger bits but picks up dust very well. It also seems to work best on rugs, I can feel it lifting and agitating on those but not on wall to wall carpet. Certainly not dyson's best performer but far from the worst.

Thanks again for your advise, I'll wait and see what to do with this until I get the dc25 animal refurbished. It's going to be a big job!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 06:53:44 pm »
Thanks Parwaz, I figured replacing the wand may fix it, but I wanted to check first. I remember your battered old dc41, and your lucky replacement dc41 mk2!

I do have a dc25 blueprint (you can see it in the first pic) which I briefly used, I mainly like the more solid feel it had compared to this one. But I wouldn't use the blueprint regularly. I'd refurb the animal for that.

I do agree about the larger models having much better performance. I had used a dc40 before so I knew what to expect. It is actually slightly better than I expected, and I can't complain about the price! Just need to find a free cinetic now........

I was really impressed how well the dc40 worked on hard floors. It can struggle with larger bits but picks up dust very well. It also seems to work best on rugs, I can feel it lifting and agitating on those but not on wall to wall carpet. Certainly not dyson's best performer but far from the worst.

Thanks again for your advise, I'll wait and see what to do with this until I get the dc25 animal refurbished. It's going to be a big job!

Definitely! The DC41 is very good for wall to wall carpet and any other flooring it works really well. I would say that the new Dysons (with the purple brushbar and red bristles) are the ones with the better brushroll as they started those in 2014 when they started to really have amazing performance

I seen your Dc14 in the pic and reminded me of who you are lol ;D Those work well too, pretty popular in he UK (those non clutched models) sadly discontinued though but are a good vacuum, not much to go wrong with them really!

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 07:28:27 pm »
Definitely, the purple brushbars are excellent.

I suppose that dc14 is pretty recognizable lol. I really prefer the non clutch models on carpets, they seem to clean much better. Harder to push though! Just wish we got them over here! The only one we got like that was a dc07, and it was only sold for a few months. 

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 07:32:59 pm »
Unlucky lol
You;re lucky you have one though! :)

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 07:36:13 pm »
Even if I did have to build it!

Forgot to mention the only reason I got this dc40 was that it was clogged! It also had old chewing gum stuck on the filter side of the ball  :sick0012:, I had to scrub that off hard, the plastic there is discolored now!

Offline dragoncurt

• Dyson FTW !
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 05:43:55 pm »
Cool find :)

Offline RustySkull

• Kirby, Royal, Sebo =)
    • RustySkull Productions YouTube
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 09:01:19 pm »
I love it when things work out well ;)

Nice one!
If You Like Machines, Radios and Cars As Well As Vacuum Cleaners Then Check Out The Official RustySkull Productions YouTube!
>>>>>>RustySkull Productions YouTube!<<<<<< >>>>>Twitter<<<<<>>>>>Instagram<<<<<

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram