The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: S4290 blowing crap everywhere  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Flipper

S4290 blowing crap everywhere
« on: October 01, 2022, 11:58:29 pm »
i just got this in & fancied it for my workshop vac. it has the  filter with it which is like a coffee filter shape that fits over the float mechanism, runs fine but whatever I suck up blows straight back out of the top hole like a whale. I discovered it did this while cleaning the filter of my latest DC24 diy plaster dust victim. I happened to be outside at the time so it wasnt too bad. The filter is in good nick with no holes in it. Cant find a manual online as its circa 1980 something & not sure if i'm missing a bit or whats happening. any ideas?
Broken things make me money

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: S4290 blowing crap everywhere
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 08:45:33 am »
Ooooh very nice!

Does sound like something is missing, got any photos of the inside? I've never seen one either!

COuld it be fixed by cutting up a hepaflo bag and some cable ties or similar? Equally do you just have the wet pickup net thing and not actually a dry filter? Not an aquavac style cartridge filter is it?
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Flipper

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 11:10:08 pm »
I'll get some detailed pics up tomorrow so you can have a better look. I have to thank you for all the youtube vids, you have helped me fix so many hoovers its unreal  :tiphat:

Offline Flipper

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 07:42:23 pm »
ok more pics for you, not much going on inside, the float part is fixed to the lid & the whole thing sits inside the cloth filter. Have now noticed the break in the rim of the filter which I will try to fix & see if that stops the whale effect. Took lots of pics as you've not seen one before (must be a first) Thanks again

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 09:37:33 pm »
Ooh very cool! 1983 too.

That split in the filter might cause some issues, but doesn't look bad enough to cause crap to billow out...

Could always fix that up and try again, or cable tie a pillowcase to the float cage as well!
Or buy bags...
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram