The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Need help with Electrolux Z457 / Sanitaire S490  (Read 1025 times)

Offline CountVacula

Need help with Electrolux Z457 / Sanitaire S490
« on: June 19, 2023, 12:24:44 am »
I have the Sanitaire branded 120 volt version of the Electrolux Z457.   I very much need some help reviving this old girl.  There are no parts or knowledge of these in the US but Electrolux sold boatloads of them in Europe under their name and the Progress brand name.  It is clean and has a fresh motor but the wiring is wrong.  When I disassembled it I took care to only unplug the two wires from the motor but subsequently several of the brass female spade connectors on the wires broke and came off.  Now I don't know what wire goes where.   :'(   I also think the four button speed control is bad.  I am only getting continuity on the next to lowest speed.  It was working before I took it apart but it was filthy and had to be cleaned.   Now I have a problem.  I would buy a used one for parts btw.   In addition to my wiring woes ti is also missing the pre-motor filter support and I will bet more than beers the switch assembly is the same part regardless of voltage.  The magic happens on the main board.  At the very least some guidance on what wire goes where would be a great help.  Thanks for any help. 

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Need help with Electrolux Z457 / Sanitaire S490
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 09:02:55 pm »
Hi!

I'm afraid I don't have anything constructive to say other than good luck. I've googled the model number and it's not a machine we got in the UK, your best option would be to search ebay in Europe and see what comes up! It might have been sold under Volta perhaps?

Best of luck however you choose to solve it, the motor itself should run with just a Live and Neutral from the cord rewind. The PCB just adds the variable power and LED lights, you could always wire a simple Potentiometer in line to turn the speed up and down as a sort of janky middle ground fix. Can't help with the missing filter, I buy Miele cylinder filters and cut them to fit and hot glue if needed!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline CountVacula

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 01:45:55 am »
Just dawned on me, are you the same Beko with the Youtube videos?

I just bought a very similar Progress 115 from the German eBay site.  Actually a German friend bought it for me and will ship it to sunny Southern California.  It has a three button speed control so I am hoping the wiring of that follows the same logic used on my Sanitaire S490A / Electrolux Z457.  It has a filter screen (hurrah!) and it has a European Electrolux style power nozzle plug.  The US model has the same hose connection as upteen Swedish Electroux and Nilfisk hoses but a US style power nozzle connection.  With the Electrolux style plus I can run a Lux K35 hose and Electrolux Ze3 with it instead of the short Eureka hose and noisy old Eureka Vibra Groomer power brush.  So progress prehaps (bad pun, yes).

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 12:33:56 pm »
Yes, that's me! Hello  :tiphat:

This all sounds like the makings of a nice OEM+ Frankenvac or similar, which in the case of obselete rare parts can sometimes be the only way!

Best of luck, be good to hear how it goes
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram