The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson V11 Absolute - Stripdown & Refurbishment!  (Read 2558 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Dyson V11 Absolute - Stripdown & Refurbishment!
« on: July 23, 2023, 07:02:53 pm »
Hi!
As some of you may know, I bought a Dyson V11 brand new, on launch day. And she was very good to me in terms of video content, breaking twice and more besides in typical Dyson fashion. When the warranty ran out I sold it, but not before doing a stripdown and refurb thread!

Sat on the Manchestervacs cordless stick vac stand which is very adaptable for everything!

These tools are what I used with it mostly too, the hose was sent to my by Lanmu, and it was brilliant in every way! The ends unscrew from the hose and the other tools split as normal

ila_rendered

Onto the machine itself! Mad to think that when I first ogtm ine they were shiny and expensive looking, but I must have reburbished 200+ now, and they've fully lost theirt shine! On some pictured I'll put an Ignore by them, as unless your replacing a broken part there's no need to do some of this wit ha standard refurb.

ila_rendered

Take the bin and filter off

ila_rendered

The filter will be filthy, they all do that! Vacuum it off with another vacuum if you have
one, then/or bung it in a bowl of hot water and bio washing stuff and soak for 12 hours. Then pop it in the washing machine with some towels so it doesnt smash around and DRY 100% THOROUGHLY. Or if its too far gone new ones are cheap.

ila_rendered

The pre motor filter bit does come off, however I don't ever do that nowadays, it all just stays whole.

ila_rendered

Next off (again dont do this either) is the bin release latch. It pops off but has a handed spring that needs to go in just right.

ila_rendered

The bin flap rod pops out

ila_rendered

Then the cam that pushes the rod down unscrews and its little spring can be caught before it goes flying

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Dyson V11 Absolute - Stripdown & Refurbishment!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 07:08:02 pm »
I never do this bit either BUT one common fault is the shroud scraper ring breaks apart. Replacements are cheap enough (and I struggled to get this one back together so dont do this even if yours isnt broken. It washes up file as it is fitted  :thumbsup:

ila_rendered

Next up is something else I never do and thats pop the bottom bin flap iss, and withdraw the spring assembly that sits inside the hinge

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Never do any of that. Gently pull the bottom flap rubbers off, leaving the flap attached to the bin and job done move on!

ila_rendered

The bin slide stop lock pops out too

ila_rendered

Inc it's tiny spring

ila_rendered

Voila, one raw and naked bin

ila_rendered

Next, onto the machine. Remove the 3 screws (on this 1st gen model) and remove the battery

ila_rendered

Ruined this photo but then remove the 6 cross head screws holdging the motor onto the cyclone assembly (2 are on top of the slider, the other 4 around the filter seal perimiter)

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 07:12:59 pm »
We're going into the motor now but usually on a normal refurb you dont need to, so come back when we get to the cyclone. But otherwise, 2 screws and some clips remove the PCB cover

ila_rendered

The motor should pull out of the back housing

ila_rendered

The rubber seal holds it nice and firm

ila_rendered

The rubber edge and a plastic spacer come off the PCB

ila_rendered

Deep inside the motor housing we can withdraw the always filthy exahust air diffiser

ila_rendered

Then flip it round and carefully pop the LCD cover off the back to reveal 2 screws

ila_rendered

With the screws removed, carefully peel the LCD ribbon away from the inside of the casing and withdraw it and the ribbon cable from the assembly.

ila_rendered

Tiny gasket is under the screen

ila_rendered

Behind the LCD are 4 tiny screws (I had my laptop tiny screwdriver kit out by this point)

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 07:17:45 pm »
This allows the PCB to fold away and unplug from a tiny ZIF connector

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Specs of the awful potato quality screens Dyson insist on using

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Under the LCD lens, the mode button comes apart too, and it's membrane

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Up top to the motor now. Gently bend the main motor leads straighter than they are, undo the 2 short screws and remove the wire cover, pulling the wires from the trigger through as you go

ila_rendered

Next, look up where the battery plugs into and undo the 1 t8 torx up there. The trigger will pull out with a plair of pliers on a battery pin, and a gently push from the top rubber gasket.

ila_rendered

If you have a broken trigger, you'll be familiar with this bit, this is the offending article (mine went twice! I must have heavy fingers)

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2023, 07:26:11 pm »
The trigger unclips from the switch housing

ila_rendered

The rest of it stays as it is, give it a wipe down if your feeling fancy

ila_rendered

Onto the cyclone we go now, and another common fault is the tiny insignificant piece of plastic Dyson used to stop the bin from sliding off always breaks. With the main housing split you can get to its mounting screw

ila_rendered

I forgot I tried to do this part this way, and it's the wrong way. An easy and correct way to split the cyclone is:

Undo the 4x long t8 screws on the first end of the cyclone
Undo the 3x long t8 torx screws holding the shroud onto the vacuum.
Pull the tool connector half off slightly, then wit ha small screwdriver work around the suction inlet part of the shroud to unclip it from the main cyclone. When you get it unclipped, pull the shroud down as much as you can with the wire still in place
Undo the 4x long T8 torx screws and lift the top of the cyclone off
With a blunt object, from underneath push the internal connector plug up and loose.
Assemble the plastics again, clipped together enough to give good length on the wire for the internal plug
Remove the bit of heatshrink from the connector plug (dont bin it, it needs to go back on)
Take some pics of the orientation and undo and de-pin the connector.
Everything falls apart ready for washing.

However, the way this goes is another way, so here it is for prosperity...

With great force and a bit too much damage for my liking, remove the tool electrical connector

ila_rendered

Open and depin the connector

ila_rendered

Undo the 4x long t8's and remove the first bit of the cyclone

ila_rendered

Remove the seal

ila_rendered

The shroud still sucks regardless really but it unclips and comes off, just be careful as it's thin

ila_rendered

Next, undo the screws buried under the thick layer of dust

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 07:30:00 pm »
The inner lower cyclone bit comes off then

ila_rendered

Showing the amazing performing cyclones. No dust anywhere (never used this for DIY and that's the usual Dyson killer)

ila_rendered

The cyclone will come apart now, the inner 4 cones pull out, and the top bin seal pulls off the housing

ila_rendered

The white cyclone top comes off, and the 2 gaskets pull off. Mind the small black/grey one, it's quite fragile, but can take a clean tear or 2

ila_rendered

That's the main machine done now! Must have come across the crevice tool and tool holder at this point

ila_rendered

Then it's onto the High Torque head

ila_rendered

Brushroll out

ila_rendered

Bearing was quite clean

ila_rendered

Next, undo the screws holding the rear rubber seal in place

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2023, 07:43:55 pm »
ila_rendered

Then undo the ones hiding under the rubber bit itself

ila_rendered

And slide it all apart. Undo the front baseplate screws now and lift the front part off the head

ila_rendered

The head slider has a small spring and little plastic wheel on it

ila_rendered

2 screws on the back corners and one underneath the head in the middle of the suction channel and the reat pivot cover lifts off

ila_rendered

The front suction gates lift out nicely

ila_rendered

Then with the wiring that runs along the top removed the top clear housing comes off

ila_rendered

The pivot neck part snaps out of the bottom chassis of the head, and the brushroll motor slides out of the bottom chassis too. It stays attached to the pivot part.

ila_rendered

I took the rear wheels off too, which although was pointless shows how worn their getting after not too long (this isnt the original head the machine came with, but a later warranty replacement.)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2023, 07:49:15 pm »
The rear wheels have bearings in them

This next bit is pointless too UNLESS you have a broken wire in the neck.

Under the 2 wheels are 2 wierd looking screws
`
ila_rendered

Un pick the wires as you go and seperate the 2 parts of the pivot. The wire cover pops off the pivot too as you go

ila_rendered

More wires that run to the back of the head

ila_rendered

Undo the 1 screw and de-pin the connector

ila_rendered

The red latch clip pops off

ila_rendered

You really cant go too far here, but on the back of the brushroll motor are 2 screws

ila_rendered

The plastic wheels that support the brushroll at this end of the head pop off (this is what snapped on my original head) revealing the main bearing for the brushroll

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2023, 08:32:11 pm »
Undo the three screws at the tip of the motor housing and it pulls apart

ila_rendered

To reveal the high torque motor

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The loom easily unplugs now too, although again, youll never need to usually

ila_rendered

Onto the Fluffy now

ila_rendered

Everyone should know how to do this yea?

ila_rendered

The end holder for the roller bearing unscrews from the end cap

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2023, 08:37:19 pm »
The rear roller slips out now too

Terrible photo, but undo the cross head screw holding the roller support and bearing into place. This also releases the whole of that side end cap

ila_rendered

Here we see the loom have a connection. Youll need a small thin knife blade to gently unpick the locking tabs, then they pull apart.

ila_rendered

Undo the 2 screws on either side, then the 4 down the bottom and the suction duct comes off the main chassis

ila_rendered

There's always pine needles!

1 big screw releases the brushroll motor, and there's a spacer/support that sits there too

ila_rendered

With a stout screwdriver, the neck levers off the head. However, the wires run down one side, lever the opposite side out first! Pop the hose out too, the tip of it sits through the other side of the clear head

ila_rendered

2 t8 torx are hiding up by the hose, holding the 2 main halves of the assembly together. The wires are there too dont forget

ila_rendered

With a thin screwdriver, pop the wiring cover off and away

ila_rendered

The hose can then be withdrawn

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2023, 08:41:16 pm »
The pivot can be disassembled too, however the red clips are very fragile, and I dont think I've done it without breaking one before. Luckily the wires on a fluffy head snap at the pivot to the clear chassis, so re-wiring doesnt involve all this

ila_rendered

Up top, release the wiring connector and unscrew it

ila_rendered

Pull the loom through and we're done! Big pile of stuff that cant be washed

ila_rendered

These for the washing machine

ila_rendered

And all this got washed,

ila_rendered

dried and polished

And we start back with the Fluffy! Hose and clear head

ila_rendered

I usually leave all the neck and wiring alone, but here I did not so we can start building the assembly up from the bottom up, running the wiring loom through as we go

ila_rendered

red clips in

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2023, 08:50:02 pm »
Then the top half, re-wire the plug and pop it all into place

ila_rendered

Refit the brushroll motor, screw it into place and re-connect the wires

ila_rendered

Pop the baseplate in, do up all its screws and I also did the rear roller and side panel

ila_rendered

Front roller in and voila, brand new again!

ila_rendered

Torque head now, and the motor was all buttoned up

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

And the assembly was slid into the chassis, making sure this part sits flush

ila_rendered

Next up, the neck part was rebuilt, and snapped onto the lower chassis, and the clear top placed on, routing the wires as needed

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2023, 08:56:11 pm »
ila_rendered

I popped the suction duct gates in

ila_rendered

Popped the red gate shifter bar in then screwed the top cover down on it all

ila_rendered

Wheels and pivot cover on

ila_rendered

Brushroll back in and another head done

ila_rendered

Main machine now, and it's time to feed th ewires for the trigger back into the head. This involves lining upp the tiny sensor wire and 2 thick power wires but eventually it goes in and through. Put the screw in

ila_rendered

Re-assembe the LCD and feed it through. The ribbon cable was sticky enough to be fine again

ila_rendered

Refit the wiring cover, bend the wire ends back to angled again and refit the motor and rubber gaskets

ila_rendered

Voila, the motor half is done!

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2023, 09:00:34 pm »
Because we popped the connector from the bottom, re-assembling the cyclone is quite easy. Put the 2 gaskets back on the cyclone mid frame, re-wire the internal connector and feed the wire down, then screw each layer together (the shroud screws are in the alternate position to the top cyclone assembly screws, line the sahroud up and eyeball the screw holes to check) until you get to the bottom, re-pin that connector, fit the 2 seals and rear bin slider and voila!

ila_rendered

The 2 halves an be bought back together now

ila_rendered

Then we can re-assemble the bin

ila_rendered

Rubber seals back on the bottom flap then re-attach that

ila_rendered

This horrible part here

ila_rendered

Then eventuially the shroud scraper went back together too

ila_rendered

Final small tools

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2023, 09:03:13 pm »
All done, reset back to a brand new machine again! I then sold it, here are the for sale images I took

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Gettign the Lanmu stuff in the box was a challenge, but she sold for £380 iirc, which wasnt bad at all I dont think! I sold it to part fund my NBV190 cordless Numatic.

And the V11 videos I made are still consistently my most viewed videos, which is nice. Looking back through my photos to the pic of when it arrived at the office

ila_rendered

And it looking very shiny and new when it was shiny and new

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

But now I've refurbished so flipping many of them, that shine has long gone! They make canny used buys if you find one cheaply enough but otherwise, meh! I've not gone for any of the stick vacs yet as I'm just not a huge fan of the form factor. I keep a V8 with the fluffy head on around and that does all I ever got out of this, for a fraction of the cost!

Either way, I hope you enjoyed reading.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration